DEPARTMENTS & OFFICES > CONTINUING EDUCATION > PAYTRAIN COLLEGE & UNIVERSITY COURSE
PayTrain College & University Course
Advance your payroll career while ensuring your organization’s payroll compliance.
Robert Morris University, Moon Township, PA
PayTrain® Fundamentals, Each Saturday, September 20 - November 1, 2014
PayTrain® Mastery, Each Saturday, February 7 - March 14, 2015
Enroll in Robert Morris University’s PayTrain® Fundamentals and PayTrain® Mastery courses today!
As a payroll professional, you know how important it is to maintain your company’s compliance by keeping up with the constantly changing regulations and procedures. Staying current is as important to your company’s bottom line as it is to your career.
The PayTrain College & University® program is designed to increase your knowledge of payroll compliance from a basic understanding to an advanced level, and prepare you for the Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) and Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification exams.
Are you or your staff interested in preparing for the FPC or CPP certification exams? Or are your or members of your staff new to the industry and need to learn the basics of payroll, our courses will help you meet your goals.
What Is PayTrain College & University®?
In cooperation with the American Payroll Association, Robert Morris University presents the PayTrain College & University® program for payroll professionals. Comprised of two professional development courses, PayTrain Fundamentals and PayTrain Mastery, this program is designed for all levels of payroll administration. Students in the courses receive live classroom instruction, textbooks, and access to interactive online games and applications to reinforce topics learned.
Why Enroll in a PayTrain College & University® course?
You will gain:
- A foundation of knowledge for starting or advancing your payroll career
- Improved job performance by increasing accuracy and compliance
- Reducing your company’s exposure to penalties
- Access to a network of peers to learn about payroll practices in other organizations
- Solid grounding in compliance issues related to tax and regulatory information
- Preparation for the FPC and CPP exams
- Recertification credit hours (RCHs) or continuing education units (CEUs) to maintain FPC or CPP credentials if you are already a FPC or CPP
Who Should Enroll in PayTrain Fundamentals?
- Entry-level employees in the payroll department
- Practitioners, consultants, and service providers new to the payroll industry
- Individuals working in payroll who need formal training
- Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) exam candidates
- FPCs needing recertification credits
Who Should Enroll in PayTrain Mastery?
- Payroll departments requiring compliance training
- Payroll professionals seeking professional development
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) exam candidates
- CPPs needing recertification credits
Who Can Benefit?
The PayTrain College & University® program serves a wide variety of payroll professionals. Ideal candidates include:
- Payroll professionals who are preparing for the FPC or CPP examination
- New payroll employees
- Experienced payroll employees who aspire to assume greater responsibilities
- Business owners/managers needing to ensure compliance
- Personnel in payroll service companies who need a basic understanding of payroll
- Payroll software developers and technical support representatives
- Post-secondary students interested in moving into the payroll profession
- FPCs and CPPs needing to earn Recertificate Credit Hours (RCHs) for recertification
Benefit to Your Employer
Organizations that provide payroll training to their employees through APA’s PayTrain College & University® program will see a significant return on investment.
- Understanding of complex regulatory requirements helps prevent costly noncompliance penalties
- Professional development increases employee loyalty and productivity
- Local course offerings provide an opportunity to train multiple employees without the time and expense of travel and time out of the office
- Employees receive live training without significant travel and time away from work
- Classroom training provides motivation and a set schedule for course completion
PayTrain Fundamentals: September 20 – November 1, 2014 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., RMU Moon
Township Campus, Hale 204
The PayTrain Fundamentals course
teaches the fundamental payroll calculations and applications providing
students with the basic knowledge and
skills required to maintain payroll
compliance and prevent costly penalties. This course is ideal for new payroll
professionals, those who support the
payroll industry, and those who are
preparing for FPC certification. PayTrain Fundamentals is a prerequisite for
the PayTrain Mastery course. These
calculations are critical to successfully passing the FPC and CPP exams and are
not covered in PayTrain Mastery.
Topics include the
introductory study of:
reporting and employment taxes
keeping and payroll practices
is designed for 30 contact hours, earning the
participant 3.0 CEUs.
PayTrain Mastery: February 7 - March 14, 2015 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., RMU Moon Township Campus
PayTrain Mastery is a comprehensive course providing students with a solid understanding of advanced payroll topics necessary for payroll managers and supervisors. This course is ideal for experienced payroll professionals seeking compliance training, professional development, or CPP certification preparation. Please note that the PayTrain Fundamentals course is a prerequisite. For success on the CPP exam, this course should be taken after completing PayTrain Fundamentals.
Topics include the advanced study of:
- Payroll concepts
- Paycheck calculations
- Fringe benefits
- Payroll reporting and employment taxes
- Record keeping and payroll practices
- Payroll accounting
- Management and administration
This course is designed for 36 contact hours, earning the participant 3.60 CEUs.
What’s included in the course?
APA’s PayTrain College & University program combines live instruction with printed workbooks and interactive online games, application exercises, case studies, and tests.
The instructor-led option is ideal for those who prefer a structured learning environment. You will interact with other payroll professionals preparing for FPC/CPP certification. Your instructor, an expert in the field of payroll, can be an invaluable resource as you prepare for the FPC/CPP exam.
All students will receive printed workbook(s) and access to the online components. The text is divided into seven modules:
Module 1: Payroll Concepts
Module 2: Payroll Calculations
Module 3: Fringe Benefits
Module 4: Payroll Reporting and Employment Taxes
Module 5: Record Keeping and Payroll Practices
Module 6: Payroll Accounting
Module 7: Management and Administration
The online components are essential to the learning process. These interactive tools will help participants determine their initial level of knowledge, create a study plan based on individual need, reinforce their studies with games, application exercises and tests, and track their learning through progress reports. The online portion of the course consists of the following components.
- Overview: The overview will guide you through the program.
- Pre-Test: The timed pre-test, comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions, will measure your existing level of payroll knowledge by topic, and help you develop an efficient study plan. Correct answers are provided after each question.
- Lesson Quizzes: After reading each lesson from your workbook, complete the related lesson quiz to test your comprehension and retention of topics studied. Correct answers and links to the appropriate section of text are provided after each question.
- Module Game: On Track provides a fun and interactive way of reinforcing learned materials at the end of each module.
- Application Exercises: A number of application exercises, including Excursions, Whistle Stops, and Grand Tours, will help you apply the concepts learned in the text to a series of job-based scenarios. Correct answers and links to the appropriate section of text are provided after each question.
- Course Game: Keep the Train on Time (Fundamentals), The Great PayTrain Robbery (Mastery), and Workin’ on the Railroad (both courses) provide an entertaining and challenging review of the topics covered by the entire course.
- Final Test: The timed final test, consisting of 50 multiple-choice questions, covers content drawn from the entire course. Correct answers and links to the appropriate sections of text are provided after answering each question. The final test results will measure the progress you’ve made throughout the course and will provide an indication of areas that require further study.
- Online Glossary: Accessible any time during the program, the pop-up glossary allows you to look up definitions of terms without leaving your current activity.
- Reports: Track your course progress through a reporting feature that compares your pre-test and final test scores.
SHARI CHALMERS, CPP, President Western PA Chapter of APA
Enjoying over 13 years as a payroll practitioner, Shari is the Payroll Manager for North Allegheny School District and is also the Past President of the Western PA Chapter of The American Payroll Association.
Online: Register Now
Fax Registration: Download, print, and fax your completed Register Form with major credit card information to 412-397-6847.
Mail Registration: Complete the Register Form and send with a check or credit card information. Make check payable to Robert Morris University and mail to Yvonne Miller, Online & Off-Campus Programs, Robert Morris University, 6001 University Boulevard, Moon Township, PA 15108-1189.
*** Registration deadline is September 10, 2014 ***
Cancellation Policy: Full refunds are given when a class in cancelled by RMU. Course fees will be fully refunded if requested before course start date. Materials will be refunded if plastic is not broken.
Tap Into Tuition Reimbursement
Secure your future through training with help from your employer. If your company offers tuition reimbursement you can expand your payroll knowledge, skills, and credentials at no cost to you!
PayTrain College & University live and instructor-led courses qualify for most tuition reimbursement programs. Enroll in this course and tap into the pool of tuition reimbursement funds available at your company.
Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC)
The FPC is a certification credential for payroll beginners and service and support professionals. The exam is open to all those who wish to demonstrate a baseline of payroll competency. For more information visit: http://www.americanpayroll.org/certification/certification-fpcinfo/
Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
The CPP is a certification credential for those with some experience in payroll. To qualify for CPP certification, candidates must have earned three years of payroll experience in the five years prior to taking the exam.
For more information visit: http://www.americanpayroll.org/certification/certification-cppinfo/
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact Yvonne Miller @ 412-397-6307 or e-mail email@example.com